Pages

Friday, November 11, 2011

The Apocalypse: a Romance at the End of Time

i


I should have known when I woke up in the morning that it was the Apocalypse. It had been the apocalypse for a while, but this was it; Angels with flaming swords, the firmament cracking, the sky on fire, seas running red...about what you'd expect. Just like I expected, it was the biggest surprise in human history, and of course, it all started with a dame...

I was sitting at my desk regretting last nights fourth bottle of bootleg rum when she walked in.
And by "walked" I mean climbed down my fire escape and jumped though the window. Somehow, I knew she'd be trouble.
"Can I help you?" I said, holding back a stream of profanities.
"That depends, are you Dr.Adventure?" she dusted off her tights,
"Maybe" I said "that depends whats chasing you through my window" I looked her straight in the eyes, then checked her out from head to toe.
"Oh, don't worry about that, I was just taking in my morning exercise, its faster than the train" She smiled.
"Well, in that case, Yes, I'm Dr.Adventure, how can I help you miss...?"
"they call me Action, I'm looking for a man." I raised an eyebrow
"maybe later, but I mean I'm looking for the man that Ended time"
"I didn't realize time was History..." I said, pouring two shots
"As of this morning" she said, taking her glass with a wink, "all time is NOW, didn't you feel strange this morning?"
"Darlin, I feel strange EVERY morning"
She continued, "humanity has undergone a mass shift in cognition, people have started remembering the past, as in before they were born, and the future."
"like i said, what else is new, where do I come in?"
She looked me straight in the eye when she downed her drink, "Well, now that we can remember the future, we know its your fault."
"Ha! you're welcome." I say, as the adrenalin kicks in, "so whats next?"
"Next" she gives with the full grin '"we have to make it happen. Our rides on the roof"
"Fuck yeah, bout time" I said as she lept back out the window . Told'ya, capital T. trouble.
This was Action girl, reality was fucked. We went to the roof and climbed into the machine. Nothing would ever be the same, it was the End of Time and the dawn of Humanity.



The machine was apparently a flying saucer decked out like a disco ball. It was a story tall and about 10 yards across. As we entered through a bedazzled go-go cage lowered from its underside, I could already feel the bass kick. Inside was a cross between star trek and a strip club; neon control interfaces, giant wrap around screens that made the walls seem transparent, plush couches, dance poles and a fully stocked bar.

"Where are we headin?" I asked, planting myself in the captains chair and lighting a pipe
"you oughtta know" said action girl, eying me with a smirk " this is your plan anyway"
"Ha, of course, enough fooling around" I furrowed my brow for dramatic effect "first, we pick up supplies, then off to HARP to play some music for the angels"
"Alright then, but you'd better know what the hell you're getting into" she popped into the navigators seat and took the controls
"Not my first rodeo sweetheart. By the way, how fast does this thing go?" shes started laughing. "Fast enough, we're heading to your lab first right?"
"yes ma'am"
"Cool, just watch" She stomped on the gas. the screens were a blur of light and we were there before my ass could pucker.
"well fuck! where the hell did you get this thing anyway?!"
"I don't want to ruin the surprise, Doc." she was still laughing " we're here, go grab your equipment."
The lab had kicked over to backup power as soon as it had detected a hyperspacial anomaly, I could feel the generators humming. I walked to the bookcase at the far wall and pulled out a copy of "Through the looking glass". As the biometric scanner in the cover confirmed my identity, I ducked the mechanical saw-blade that flung out from the wall and dove through the trapdoor that would only remain open for a few seconds. In my dressing room, my Z-day kit was packed and ready. Accoutrements, armor and supplies for the Echaton. I also grabbed the pink sequence case from the shelf and a magnum of champagne. I took the elevator to the roof and loaded my gear into the Disco Ship.
I put the champagne in the fridge and tossed Action girl the case "this ones for you, hope it fits." her eyes widened "you knew I was coming?"
"call it a hunch, I figured ages ago that you'd want in on this"
To give alittle back story,; I knew ALL about action girl. She was a local underground circus performer that had become an international sensation after rescuing the Mayors daughter from a ledge on the 85th floor of the Empire State building after a botched keg-stand at her office christmass party. Action girl, who had been a hired performer at the event, re-rigged her aerial equipment, lowered herself down 2 stories and pulled the inebriated heiress to safety. She was famous the next morning. And like a pro, she did the whole thing in costume, leaving her personal endeavors largely unmolested by the public eye. Since then I had a sneaking suspicion that we would cross paths, and I always plan for success.
"So whats at HARP?" She said, eying the contents of the case, attempting to feign indifference.
"The beginning of the End and the End of the Beginning. Its showtime baby."
" Fuck you too, just be ready to put your money where your mouth is when we get there, Adventure."
She hit the gas, laughing like a maniac. I smiled as the world outside melted into a stream of colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment