Pages

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

404 Documents, Installment Five: Interrogation.


The interrogation room was nothing special. An office conference room. The ceiling fan whirred slowly overhead and the fluorescent lights flickered, flooding the interior with a dingy and unnaturally greenish yellow hue. The man seated opposite me was husky, forty-something going on seven-hundred, and world-weary. I could tell this from the lines and bags under his eyes, like the rings on the inside of a hewn tree. Those sunken circles made his face seem like that of a raccoon's, which may have been comical in any other setting.

“I’m Agent Trevino,” he said, the tone of his voice doing nothing to dispel my narrative.

“Agent 888,” I replied, a little more cheery than one might expect from someone that’d just been dropped and bagged. “Oppositional-defiant, I guess,” I said aloud accidentally. Silence. I chuckled and feigned a smile in an attempt to break the thick tension that was hanging in the air. You could have cut it with a knife.

“Christ, you kids,” the man muttered, leaning back in his chair. “Alright, I’m going to ask you some questions, and you’re going to answer them, you know. In a way that makes some kind of fucking sense.”

I nodded.

“What was that stunt you pulled today?”

“It was a prank.”

“A prank?”

“Yeah.”

“To start, it’s illegal to go into a public place as a group with your face covered. Did you know that?” he asked.

“No, I didn’t actually.”

“Oh, so you didn’t hear about those kids on wall street getting bagged and tagged for wearing those Guy Fawkes masks for their little sit ins?”

Silence.

He tapped a finger on the table. “I’m going to cut to it. There was an anonymous tip of a terrorist attack on the mall. So the hammer came down pretty hard. If you can answer a few things for me, we’ll overlook the criminal charges and you can overlook the splint on your shin, yeah?”

I looked down, only then realizing what had happened. I had a vague recollection of being in a hospital and getting a morphine injection. The pieces clicked suddenly into place. Not oppositional-defiance. I was high as a fucking kite on acid holding another kite on ketamine 20,000 leagues under a sea of tits. Hold on. A tip? Fucking Bradley. I wanted to be angry but I couldn’t find that emotion. There was just a warm gooey blob where anger was supposed to be.

“What do you know about Babylon?” he asked.

“They’re a band, right?”

He scrutinized my face. “Yeah.”

“Are you asking me out on a date?”

He frowned. “Stop trying to be cute. They’re wanted for starting an insurrection. A couple of shows got nasty. Their fans and possibly even the musicians themselves have a lot of connections to a suspected terrorist organization. Sleeper agents popping up all over the place, it’s like playing whack-a-mole.”

“Ah.” My eyes narrowed. Why would he tell me that? Was he testing me?

“I wouldn’t know anything about all that, sir. I’ll be honest with you too, OK? A friend of mine put us up to this stunt, I mean he suggested it and we thought it would be funny. And I bet you dollars to donuts that he was the one that gave you that anonymous tip. I am so going to kick his ass.” The best cover story is often the truth.

“Donuts? Was that supposed to be a cop joke?”

“Hm. Sorry.”

“No, it was pretty funny. I’m not a cop, I’m a US Marshall. Once upon a time was LAPD, but it’s not like we can’t take a fucking joke from some twenty-something roleplaying nerd playing dress up.”

“I’m 33,” I said.

“Mm, right. Whatever. Look. You’re free to go.”


50 comments:

  1. Thank you for this guidance.its really informative for all
    ofthedarkness

    ReplyDelete
  2. The information's are really good and peoples are given superb comments
    newageafricatrust

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the words are simple way every one should understand easily
    saudidefence




    ReplyDelete
  4. All the information's are more innovative
    asianhunnyz

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the words are simple way every one should understand easily
    ClicaPicos




    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice Post and all information's are used to everybody
    iginversiones

    ReplyDelete
  7. For my view is Really nice,because all peoples are giving the wonderful comments
    imaginetech

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its very useful if every one should follow this
    kraftbomb




    ReplyDelete
  9. Really nice,everybody like All the Post
    treebound

    ReplyDelete
  10. Peoples are giving the wonderful thoughts for all comments
    CicligaLetti




    ReplyDelete
  11. Peoples are giving the wonderful thoughts for all comments
    Hjzjj




    ReplyDelete
  12. Some articles are related in our life,so nice
    winniemania

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a good suggestion posted by the peoples
    IkzhiBo




    ReplyDelete
  14. Simply super comments are posted here..posterbride

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so excited while I read all the comments. robertteppermusic

    ReplyDelete
  16. Articles are really nice to read and most of the people like this
    billspricht




    ReplyDelete
  17. Peoples are giving a really nice comments for all the article
    gourmetygastronomia

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice post. Every one should implement this one. guedes-viinikainen

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for giving the good informative tutorial
    greatfood-wine




    ReplyDelete
  20. Really nice,every one should like all the comments
    searocketadventures

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a good suggestion posted by the peoples.
    oserastu

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for this guidance.its really informative for all
    parcxmart




    ReplyDelete
  23. Articles are very nice…Nice comments too. js-motors

    ReplyDelete
  24. Its really nice informative tutorial,so thanks for this tutorial
    passion-apiculture




    ReplyDelete
  25. The information's are really good and peoples are given superb comments
    photoshop-facil




    ReplyDelete
  26. The information which you people are given are really superb..!!! futurizate

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for this tutorial.its really informative tutorial.
    handef

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am so excited while I read all the comments. hinodeticket


    ReplyDelete
  29. its really informative tutorial. Thank you for this tutorial .
    hiria

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am so excited while I read all the comments. hnmp

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you for this guidance.its really informative for all.. izelnet


    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you for this tutorial.its really informative tutorial. jeanlucdavid

    ReplyDelete
  33. The information which you people are said here are really good..!!!
    jigsawcircus

    ReplyDelete
  34. The information which you people are given are really superb..!!! leyendasymitosdequeretaro

    ReplyDelete
  35. Nice post. Every one should implement this one. luv2dj4u

    ReplyDelete
  36. Keep posting the articles,useful to every one.
    mappagoweb

    ReplyDelete